Special Educational Needs

Chilton Primary School Local Offer for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities


  1. What should I do if I think my child may have Additional/Special Educational Needs?

First of all speak to your child’s class teacher about any concerns you have, we have an open door policy and you can arrange to see you child’s teacher at a mutually convenient time. If you require any more information or help you can contact the SENCo (Special Needs Coordinator) which is Mr Hemmings or Mrs Carr.

      2. How will Chilton Primary School identify if my child a child has and Additional/Special Educational Needs and needs extra help?

Children can be identified in a variety of ways including

  • Liaison with previous school or pre school.
  • A child performing significantly below age related expectations.
  • Concerns raised by a parent/carer.
  • Through termly pupil progress meetings held between the class teacher and the Head Teacher.
  • Concerns raised by the teacher for example where behaviour or self-esteem is affecting achievement.
  • Liaison with external agencies.
  • Health diagnosis through a paediatrician or other health professional.

 As a school we measure progress in learning against National and age related expectations. The class teacher regularly assesses each child and identifies where they are improving and where further help is needed. As a school we track progress from entry to the Nursery or Reception class through to year 5 using our own school assessment system and The Early Years Foundation Stage Profile.

 Children who are not making expected progress or are experiencing difficulties are identified at our half termly pupil progress meetings and ways of supporting them to overcome barriers to learning are discussed and actions are agreed.  Children how continue to experience difficulties with learning may be identified as having and additional need (special educational need)


  1. How will you support my child if they have additional/special educational needs?

If your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan or a Statement of Special Educational Needs, they will specify the support needed for your child. If your child has an identified additional need they will be primarily supported within the classroom by both the Teaching Assistant and Class Teacher. The Class Teacher plans differentiated learning opportunities to ensure all children including those with Additional Needs make progress in all areas.  We also provide additional small group and individual interventions for children who require additional support to make progress in their learning, emotional wellbeing, self-esteem or speech and language development. The regularity of these sessions will be explained to parents when the support starts. If your child needs support through an intervention programme specific targets will be created by the class teacher in consultation with the SENCo which your child will work towards.  The targets are reviewed at least termly, by the class teacher and you will have the opportunity to discuss this at a termly meeting. If your child has an Education Health and Care Plan we will also arrange Annual Review meetings with you, to ensure that the plan is still appropriate for your child and make any changes. The SENCo and leadership team closely monitors all provision and progress of any child requiring additional support across the school.

The intervention’s we currently use are:- Fischer Family trust wave 3 literacy intervention, Sound linkage literacy intervention, toe by toe (a phonics intervention), Speech and Language support using advice from a speech and language therapist, Lego therapy and Friendship groups, to support the development of  social skills,  Drawing and Talking to support children with emotional needs and Gym trail to support children with fine and gross motor control difficulties


  1. How will the curriculum be matched to meet my child’s needs?

All work is planned to meet the variety of needs within the class. Typically this means that work is differentiated at up to three different levels, but may be more individualised for children who need extra support. This means that all children access the curriculum at their own level and make progress.


  1. What support is available for my child’s overall well being?

We take your child’s well being seriously. We are an inclusive school and understand that high self-esteem and positive well-being are vital for your child’s happiness and progress. Teachers aim to foster a caring understanding environment within the class and treat all pupils with respect. Children are encouraged from Nursery to tell children other children if they do not like behaviour and are taught the skills to manage conflict.

 The class teacher has overall responsibility to the pastoral care of every child in their class and should be contacted if a parent has concerns about their child’s well-being. Further support can also be obtained from the SENCo who may contact outside agencies such and The Local Authority Behaviour Support teams for advice.


  1. How will you and I both know my child is doing and making progress?

All children are assessed half termly and children who are not making expected progress or who are working at a level below that expected for a child of their age are discussed during Pupil Progress Meeting between the Class Teacher and Head Teacher. If your child is receiving support because of their identified additional/Special Educational need their progress against the target set for them will be monitored every 6 weeks and the outcomes will be recorded on their pupil passports.  We use the Pupil Passports to record your child’s views on what they can do well, what they need help with and how we can all help them. We also record your child’s strengths and areas for development on the passport.  This enables us to have a picture of the whole child and assist us in developing a person centred approach. The targets are reviewed at least every term at a meeting between the parents, child and class teacher.


  1. How will my child be able to contribute his/her views?

Your child is invited to attend the termly meetings with parents and contribute their views. The pupil passport gives them a chance to record the things they like and are good at as well as agree to the targets. This enables them to celebrate achievements and strengths as well as to have ownership of the targets they need to meet in order to make progress

 If your child has a Statement of Special Educational needs of an Educational Health and Care plan they can attend the annual review and give their views. If they do not wish to attend the meeting their views are sort in advance and presented to those present.


  1. How are the parents involved in the setting?
  • Termly parents evenings are held where you can with your child’s class teacher and discuss the progress they are making and any other concerns you have.
  • Regular learning together sessions are held in school where you can learn phonics, maths, ICt or other subjects with your child
  • In Nursery and Reception stay and play sessions enable you to find out more about how your child learn though play based activities. 


  1. How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?

We pride ourselves in being an inclusive school and will do everything we can to ensure all children are able to access school trips, clubs and residential activities including providing additional support from trained adults, completing detailed care plans to ensure all medical needs are met and adapting activities to ensure they are inclusive to all children regardless of their additional needs or disabilities. 


     10. How will the school support my child to join the school or transfer to a new one?

If your child moves to another school midyear their assessments, work and additional information about their needs will be passed to their new school.

We provide a tailored transition package for all children with identified additional/Special Educational needs when they transfer to high school including additional visits in small groups, tours of the school and time to talk to the head of year and their new form tutor about any concerns they have. Mrs Osborne meets with the High School SENCo’s to discuss each child and pass on information about their strength, difficulties and how best they can be supported to learn and succeed.  We encourage you to visit the High School you want your child to attend and arrange to meet with their SENCo to discuss you child’s needs and how best to support them.

    11. What training do the staff have to support children with SEN?

All staff have receive training on how to support children’s emotional health and wellbeing increase their self-esteem to help them to be ready to learn.  They have also had training on how to support children to make progress in all areas of the curriculum and specifically reading, writing and mathematics.

We have a number of staff who have been trained to support children who have speech and language difficulties using the ELKLAN programme of training. All staff have received training on how to  identify triggers for children’s challenging behaviours and strategies to deescalate situations and support children to manage their behaviour.

 The Teaching Assistant responsible for running interventions have received training on the intervention packages they use.

  In school training is provided regularly and staff are encouraged to share good practise and skills between each other.


    12. Who provides services to children with additional/Special Educational needs at Chilton School?

As a school we work closely with outside agencies who offer support and advice on Special educational needs. The local Authority Advisory Teacher for Learning Support is available termly to discuss individual children and suggest strategies to support them. We also have access to Educational Psychologists, Speech and Language Therapists, Occupational Therapists, County Inclusive Resource for Children with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, Behaviour Support Team, Dyslexia Outreach Service and Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services.

 We also have children on dual placements who attend our school for part of the week and a local special school for the remained of the week. We are able to access support from these special schools as well. 


     13. Who can I contact for further information?

 Please contact the school office on 01449612928 to arrange a meeting with either Mrs Carr (Deputy Head & SENCO) or Mr Hemmings (Headteacher & SENCO)

      14. How accessible is the school?

Please see accessibility plan.